NRL Launch Season 2015
The NRL has launched the 2015 calendar which will see 10 months of Rugby League competitions, events and entertainment.
CEO Dave Smith said 2015 would have something for every League fan.
It begins this weekend with the Dick Smith Auckland Nines featuring all 16 NRL teams in the exciting, fast version of the game.
This will be followed by:
- The return of the Harvey Norman Rugby League All Stars match
- An expanded World Club Series
- The NRL Telstra Premiership with a new look draw aimed at having more blockbuster matches
- The Holden State of Origin Series and representative matches
- The Touch Football World Cup in May, featuring 100 teams from 25 nations
The launch was held in Auckland for the first time on Thursday.
This recognises the 20th anniversary of the New Zealand Warriors being in the NRL competition and the success of the New Zealand Kiwis international team in the recent Four Nations tournament.
Smith said a highlight of the season would be the special commemoration of the100th ANZAC which will see five games on the same day in Auckland, Newcastle, Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane.
He said there would also be more Easter holiday matches, a revitalised Monday night schedule and Thursday night football leading into the Finals Series.
“And, of course, we will be taking State of Origin to the iconic Melbourne Cricket Ground for the first time in 18 years,” said Smith.
“It is an exceptional calendar which has something for everyone.”