Hunt Involved In Annual Aquathon
St George Illawarra Dragons Ambassador Dan Hunt has called upon the community to once again be involved in the annual Australia Day Aquathon to be held at Wollongong Boat Harbour on Tuesday, January 26.
Held annually on Australia Day at 8.00am and boasting a stellar international class field as well as hundreds of families, why not join the thousands that attend to splash in, dash out or take to the community walk or simply cheer on the fun all ages taking part.
Whilst a number of world class champions including world number one female triathlete Gwen Jorgensen (USA), Australian number one and Rio Olympics qualifier, Aaron Royle line-up, it’s the first timers and all-age recreational participants who continue to give the event the phenomenal reputation it’s renowned for.
Safe, fun and with the perfect venue at Wollongong Boat Harbour, the event which includes four ‘Aquathon’ distances and the Warrigal ‘Community Walk/Jog’ has wide appeal.
Since its inception the event has proudly raised over $288,000 for local Illawarra-based charities and non-for-profit partners including Anglicare, North Wollongong SLSC and Kembla Joggers.
The 2016 edition is shaping up to be milestone year that coincides with the Rio Olympics, and continues to deliver an exciting event and new initiatives, prizes and fun ideas the whole family will enjoy.
• Kids Aquafun: In suppot of new charity partner KidzWish, the U10’s do a short close-to shore 120m swim, then 2km run and 10-12’s a tad longer 200m swim and same run. Kids can go solo, relay style and parents can join in too.
• Smile Team Try-Aqua: The ‘starter’ distance. A 200m swim and 2km run. Close to shore safe swim and out and back flat run.
• Suttleshades Short Aqua: A mostly sheltered 400m swim and flat 3km run, perfect for ages 12+. Individual or relay tag teams.
• Lighthouse Long Aqua: A 900m swim and 7km run – it steps up to our premier distance but can be enjoyed by most 14yrs+ with some preparation. A double lap 450m swim (so you get a rest in between) and flat scenic 7km run. You can give it a go – solo or relay tag team.
• Warrigal Community Walk: or why not jog, stroller or wheelchair and celebrate an active community Australia Day experience. 3.5km along the picturesque foreshore and Blue Mile.
The Australia Day Aquathon and Community Walk forms part of the huge Australia Day festivities at Wollongong Harbour.