You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Picture by Alex Whitehead/ - 20/02/2015 - Rugby League - World Club Series - Warrington Wolves v St George Illawarra Dragons - Halliwell Jones Stadium, Warrington, England - St George's Ben Creagh is tackled by Warrington's Ben Westwood and Daryl Clark.

The St George Illawarra Dragons defeated the Warrington Wolves. 18-12 in their World Club Series fixture at The Halliwell Jones Stadium, Warrington on Friday.

The Dragons scored three tries in the victory courtesy of Tyson Frizell, Joel Thompson and Josh Dugan to complete the team's pre-season on a high-note.

The Dragons opened the score in just the second minute with their first attacking set much to the shock of the vocal home fans.

Shifting the ball across field, halfback Benji Marshall held up the defence and gave a short ball to Tyson Frizell who charged through the gap to score in the right hand corner.

Dragons five-eighth Gareth Widdop converted to give the Dragons the early 6-0 lead.

The Wolves hit back in the 13th minute through halfback Gareth O’Brien, who dummied through the Dragons defensive line including fullback Josh Dugan to score.

O’Brien converted his own try to bring the scores level at 6-6.

The Dragons next opportunity came after a knock on from dummy half by the Wolves Daryl Clark 40 metres out and in the next set of six.

 Widdop took the ball to the line on the left and put a grubber kick into the in-goal and back rower Joel Thompson won the race to the ball.

Widdop converted to send the Dragons out to a six-point lead in the 19th minute, 12-6.

A penalty for a high shot by Dragons winger Eto Nabuli gave the home team possession and the chance to even things up.

The Wolves shifted the ball left and Dragons centre Dylan Farrell went for an intercept and missed enabling his opposite Ryan Atkins to cross in on the halfhour mark  

The second half saw both teams create opportunities but the first points didn’t come until the 59th minute when O’Brien converted a penalty goal after Marshall was penalised for a high tackle.

However, a 30 metre break down-field from Dragons hooker Mitch Rein lead to the Dragons third and final try.

Rein was brought down by the fullback but played the ball quickly and Marshall kick over the top and the Wolves defender juggled the ball into the hands of Dugan who showed great strength to score in the 62nd minute.

Widdop successfully converted to give the Dragons the six-point lead 18-12.

Following the encounter, Dugan was awared the Harry Bath Trophy for being named the fixtures 'Man of the Match'.

St George Ilawarra Dragons 18. Tries: Frizell, Thompson, Dugan. Goals: Widdop (3/3).

Warrington Wolves 12. Tries: O’Brien, Atkins. Goals: O’Brien (1/2). Penalty Goal: O'Brien (1/1).

Acknowledgement of Country

St George Illawarra Dragons respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders peoples, where our games are played, our programs are conducted and in the communities we support.

Major Partner

Apparel Partners

Icon Partners

View All Partners