You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Dragons Win NSW Wheelchair Rugby League Title

The St George Illawarra Dragons overcame a very determined Newcastle Knights team in the grand final of the NSW Wheelchair Rugby League 2013/14 competition.

The match played at Menai Indoor Sports Centre in front of a crowd of over 100 supporters produced some of the best Wheelchair Rugby League seen in this country.

The first half opened with the Dragons having the better of field position but they were unable to break the defence of the Newcastle Knights team.

The Knights scrambled well to keep the Dragons at bay.

The Knights were the first to score 3 minutes into the game when Brad Grove supported a Jason Attard brake and went over to score under the posts.

The try was converted by Fabian Castillo to give the Knights a 6 nil lead.

The Dragons were next to score after a break down the left hand side of the field which saw Anthony Masterson stopped just short of the line. 

From the ensuing play the ball the ball was spread quickly along the back line for Moey Chemaissem to score wide out. Moey then converted his own try to lock the game up at 6 all.

After a prolonged period of play which saw both sides squander chances it was the Knights Fabian Castillo who broke the deadlock with a try in the corner. Fabian converted again to put the Knights in the lead 12 points to 6.

With just 3 minutes remaining in the first half the Dragons captain Yara Ryan crossed for a try which was again converted by Moey Chemaissem. Knights 12 - Dragons 12

A penalty to the Dragons for a play the ball infringement deep in the Knights half gave them one final opportunity which they made the most of when Yara again scored and Moey converted to give the half time score St George Illawarra Dragons 18, Newcastle Knights 12.

Knights were again the first to score in the half with a try to Fabian Castillo which he also converted bringing the scores to 18 all.

The Knights hit the front not long after when Andrew Holloway crossed wide out and again Fabian was on target with the conversion. Knights back in front 24 points to 18.

This lead was short lived however, after a mistake from the kick off gave the Dragons the ball and Moey Chemaissem was able to take full advantage and crossed closed to the posts. He converted his own try and the scores were again locked at 24 all.

From the kick off the dragons gained possession and 2 plays later Moey was in the clear and won the race to the line. He again converted his try and in the blink of an eye the Dragons hit the front again 30 to 24.

Another try to Yara Ryan under the posts and conversion by Moey Chemaissem pushed the Dragons to a 12 point lead with under 10 minutes of play remaining.

A spectacular try with just 8 minutes remaining to Moey Chemaissem, which he again converted, took the Dragons further ahead 42 points to 24 lead.

Michael Johnson scored for the Knights with just 4 minutes remaining but unfortunately for the first time in the game Fabian Castillo was offline with his kick leaving the score 42 – 28.

The Knights threw everything at the Dragons and were rewarded with a minute to go when Jason Attard broke through around halfway and streaked away to score.

St George Illawarra Dragons 42 defeated the Newcastle Knights 34.

St George Illawarra Dragons: 42. Tries: Moey Chemaissem (4), Yara Ryan (3). Goals: 7.

Newcastle Knights: 34. Tries: Fabian Castillo (2), Brad Grove, Michael Johnson, Jason Attard, Andrew Holloway. Tries: 5.

The Jeremy Doyle Man of the Match award went to the St George Illawarra Dragons Captain Yara Ryan.

Acknowledgement of Country

St George Illawarra Dragons respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders peoples, where our games are played, our programs are conducted and in the communities we support.

Major Partner

Apparel Partners

Icon Partners

View All Partners