St George Illawarra coach Daniel Lacey has named his mandatory 21-woman squad ahead of the Dragons' Round 1 NRL Holden Women's Premiership clash against the Brisbane Broncos at Suncorp Stadium on Sunday, September 9.
The game will kick-off at 1:45pm on Sunday afternoon, and will be the first of an epic double header that will include their Dragons men counterparts against the Broncos.
- NRL Holden Women's Premiership: rules and matches summary
- Dragons newswire
- Watch Episode 1 of 'Leading Ladies'
Helensburgh local Sam Bremner will captain at fullback for the Dragons' maiden outing as an elite women's rugby league team.
Local juniors Rikeya Horne and Shakiah Tungai have been named on the wing and will partner with centres in Jillaroo Jessica Sergis and Kiwi Fern Honey Hireme.
Kiwi Ferns playmaker Raecene McGregor will don the No. 7 jumper and will be joined by local junior Keeley Davis and Western Australian import Anneka Stephens in the team's spine.
Jillaroos trio Kezie Apps, Talesha Quinn and Annette Brander make up a formidable back row. They'll be joined in the Dragons' engine room by Oneata Schwalger and Eva Karpani.
New South Wales Origin trio Holli Wheeler, Hannah Southwell and Teina Clark will be joined on the interchange by victorious National Championships halfback Melanie Howard.
Queensland Origin duo Asipau Mafi and Kate Haren have been named in the reserves alongside other local juniors in Talia Atfield and Georgie Brooker.
Women's Premiership squad for Round 1 v Broncos:
1. Sam Bremner (c) – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
2. Rikeya Horne – sponsored by University of Wollongong
3. Jessica Sergis – sponsored by Powerade
4. Honey Hireme – sponsored by My Muscle Chef
5. Shakiah Tungai
6. Keeley Davis – sponsored by Dincel
7. Raecene McGregor – sponsored by Wollongong Diagnostics
8. Oneata Schwalger
9. Anneka Stephens
10. Asoiva Karpani
11. Kezie Apps – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
12. Talesha Quinn – sponsored by Anytime Fitness
13. Annette Brander – sponsored by EFEX
14. Holli Wheeler
15. Hannah Southwell
16. Teina Clark
17. Melanie Howard
18. Asipau Mafi
19. Kate Haren
20. Talia Atfield - sponsored by BaiMed Performance
21. Georgina Brooker