Dragons Community is once again proudly supported by Recoveries and Reconstruction for the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership season
Dragons Community is driven by its role as a representative of the Red V community and committed to playing a positive role across the St George, Illawarra and South Coast regions.
The mission statement of Dragons Community is a simple one: "to have a positive impact on people's lives within our community; a community that stretches from Earlwood in the north to Batemans Bay in the south".
Entrenched within Dragons Community's mission statement are a number of objectives. They are as followed:
- To support and encourage young people, especially youth, to make positive choices around health, education and other social issues
- To promote respect for self and others, responsibility and self-esteem
- Promote rugby league as a means of delivering health benefits and promoting positive social interaction
- Use the profile and the strength of the Dragons' brand to assist selected local charities and associations
St George Illawarra Dragons players in particular understand too, that they are in a unique position, whereby they can promote and encourage – either directly or indirectly – the physical, cultural and intellectual welfare of young people in our community.
Dragons Community will again utilise three pillars of focus that reflect the needs of the community to deliver their programs in 2020.
These three key areas of focus remain as: health and wellbeing, education and social inclusion.
These three focuses will expand to the following key initiatives and programs that have been planned for 2020.
- Second phase implementation of our Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP)
- The implementation of the 2020 'Best You Can Be' school resource (sixth edition) will present students with different focuses and tips for students to follow.
- Female participation initiatives leveraged from the success of the first two NRL Women's Premiership seasons.
- Community valued initiatives including: Dusty and Friends early childhood program and NRL School to Work.
- Back 2 Juniors program with player support for junior rugby league clubs
The Dragons as a whole will be bolstered once again by the return of Dragons NRL Women's Premiership fullback and ambassador Samantha Bremner in 2020 alongside teammate and Community Officer Kezie Apps in 2020.
Dragons Community also have the support of other female athletes with Emma McKeon (swimming), Grace Stewart (hockey), Sally Fitzgibbons (surfing) and Shakiah Tungai (rugby league) and Jessica Sergis (rugby league) all volunteering to be ambassadors.
Show your support and continue the success of this program by donating to the Dragons Foundation today.