The St George Illawarra Dragons, in conjunction with the University of Wollongong, proudly launched the Energise: Believe, Lead, Succeed program at UOW Jubilee Oval, Kogarah on Friday.
Dragons co-captain Ben Creagh was joined by fellow props Mose Masoe and Jacob Host as well as representatives from UOW in launching the new initiative whilst also meeting and greeting local principals and students from throughout various schools throughout the St George region.
The objectives of the Energise: Believe, Lead, Succeed program will be to:
* Increase the number of students aspiring to University Study
* Encourage students to achieve their full leadership potential through inspiring role models from UOW and the Dragons
* Equip students with study skills as they undertake the senior years of high school
* Provide goal setting workshops identifying personal strengths and career ambitions
* Introduce self-belief and resilience strategies
Both the Dragons and UOW have a longstanding partnership with one another having formalised their association in 2009, committing under an Memorandum of Understanding to collaboratively pursue positive outcomes for both organisations regarding research, scholarships, community programs, internships, promotions and facility use.
The Dragons presently have 17 players studying at the tertiary institution under the Graduates of League banner, a program founded by Creagh in conjunction with the Athlete Education Foundation in 2012.
The program, piloted by the Dragons and UOW, aims to increase university entry, retention and completion rates among elite athletes and professional sports people.